L To R, Josh Perkins, Elmer Willis, Solomon Doyle, Mae Ashworth Willis, Nora Ashworth Griffin, Shelby Ashworth

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Beautiful Sound


This story here is my favorite one of all and it is the truth. I experienced this myself and it was so Beautiful.
First a little background about this subject so you might be able to picture this yourself. One thing about my ancestors,is that many of them where God Fearing People. When I say they went to church, they went to church period. Ever time those doors were open they were there. Sunday school, Church Sunday night Wednesday Night, Saturday Night, Weddings, Funerals, Cook Outs, and Revivals. They were there.
There were two members of my family that were totally dedicated to the Lord. They were my Great Uncle Lexie {Hobo} Ashworth and his son Homer Ashworth. Both were Pentecostal preachers. Lexie was the son of Amos Owen Ashworth and Mary Heard Ashworth.
When these two prayed, they prayed prayed. It wasn't a one or two minute prayer. It ran into hours and hours. Sometimes as long as three and four hours. This story is about one of those times. This story is about Homer Ashworth.
He lived just up the road from my G Grand Mother Lonie {Maw} Ashworth. She was Homers Aunt. As a kid I spent a lot of time with her. One cool fall evening she and I were sitting out on the front Gallery ( Front Porch)talking and passing time. There was a lull in the conversation and it was so peaceful. All of a sudden I heard a sound coming from the west side of the house. It started out low and as time wore on, it began to get louder and stronger. By that time I knew it was a persons voice I was hearing. I just could not figure out just who it was and what exactly what it was they were saying. I ask Maw, What is that noise? She said be quite son, that is Homer. I asked her what was he doing? She said, He has found him a stump or a fallen tree and is using it for an Alter. He is Praying and talking to the Lord. That was the very first time I had ever heard a person praying that way.
He was in that swamp for a good three hours. When he was through he walked on down to Maws and sat and visited with her and I. When he got there, he was happy. Grinning from ear to ear. I had never seen one person so happy.
I personally believed that if you offered him the world and everything in it, he would have turned it down, because it wouldn't have made him any happier. For him, having the Lord, he knew beyond a doubt, he needed nothing else. He had it all.
I just can not, to this day explain, just what sort of a feeling that was going through me at that time listening to Homer. But I can tell you, there is no other feeling like it in this world. Just sitting there listening to a man Praying and talking to his God. I hope everyone will one day be able to experience, the very same feeling and experience that I had that day.
That is why to this day I say "That is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard in My Life".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Homer was not only powerful with prayer, he was a mighty powerful preacher. I remember when I was about 6 years old Homer was preaching and got so excited he took off running down the aisle of the Singer Pentecostal Church and out the front door. He ran all the way around the building and back in through the side door and took up preaching where he had left off.